Two exciting opportunities have arisen to work in the forestry department at the Mulgrave Estate, a large and diverse rural Estate located on the North Yorkshire Coast, in the North York Moors National Park. The Estate extends to 6,000 hectares and has 1,000 hectares of woodland and forestry.
The trees and woodland at the Mulgrave Estate form an integral part of the landscape, requiring sustainable forest management to preserve and enhance its qualities. The long-term vision is to protect, sustain and develop our natural capital. Our woodland management policies are to promote a structurally diverse woodland with a mix of species, supporting a diverse forest capital, whilst providing a wide range of environmental, economic, and social benefits.
We are also working on significant plans for over 200 hectares of new woodland creation across the Estate.
The successful candidate will have experience in the woodland and forestry sector. You will also be well organised, adaptable, reliable and can work with enthusiasm, flexibility, and commitment. In view of the varied content of the role, a background of having worked on a rural Estate would be helpful but is not essential. The individual will be a supportive team player, who is engaging, self-motivated and thrives in working with others but equally alone. Good communication skills are essential.
- Delivery of a planned harvesting programmes, felling and thinning with the use of forestry winch and forwarding trailer.
- Other key forestry work including planting, plantation maintenance, firewood production.
- Maintain equipment, machines, and PPE in good, safe, clean, and functional order.
- Ensure H&S responsibilities are fulfilled, including responsibility for your personal safety and others affected by your work.
- Be a positive ambassador for Mulgrave Estate.
- To understand the basic principles of forest and land management, so work can be undertaken to the correct standards.
- Chainsaw experience and certification including maintenance, cross-cutting and small tree felling. Large tree felling and windblow certificates would be advantageous.
- Experience of tractor driving, firewood processing, use of winch, skidder and forwarding trailer desirable.
- Full UK driving licence.
- An interest in the forestry sector with the desire to learn and progress.
Other desirable qualifications include Spraying, ATV, other relevant NPTC/LANTRA/FISA qualifications or
A competitive salary, package and training will be available to the right candidate. Housing on the Estate as part of the employment package may be available.
Hours: Full Time – 40 hrs per week
Salary: Dependant on experience and qualifications
Benefits: Pension Scheme, Death in Service and other benefits after 6-month probationary period.
Annual Leave: 31 days per annum, inclusive of public and religious holidays.
Applications in writing with CV to Tommy Milburn, Head Forester, Estate Office, Mulgrave Castle, Whitby, YO21 3RJ.
Closing Date: Friday 5th May 2023 at 12.00 noon.
Forest Machine Magazine is written and edited by a forest professional with over 40 years hands on experience. We are dedicated to keeping you informed with all the latest news, views and reviews from our industry.
To support us you can subscribe to our bi-monthly magazine which is delivered to your door from only £15 per year.
#homeoflogging #writtenbyloggersforloggers #loggingallovertheworld